Andy Pettitte Agrees to 1 year Deal with yanks

Shorty|*|RocK89

Beast of the East
Feb 6, 2005
Long Island
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2691380

Source: Pettitte to Yankees with one-year, $16M deal
ESPN.com news services

Many thought Andy Pettitte should have never left New York. It looks like that issue has been rectified.

Andy Pettitte
Pettitte

The left-hander and the Yankees have reached an agreement on a one-year deal that will pay him $16 million in 2007 with a player option for 2008, sources close to the negotiations told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Friday.

Pettitte decided Wednesday that he would pitch next season rather than retire, a move that set off negotiations with his hometown Houston Astros and the Yankees.

Pettitte pitched for the Yankees from 1995-2003, helping New York win four World Series and six AL pennants. He spent the last three seasons with the Astros, who reached the World Series for the first time in 2004.

Pettitte was 14-13 with a 4.20 ERA in 35 starts for the Astros last season. His decision to leave the Yankees in 2003 also caused New York teammate Roger Clemens to put off retirement and sign with the Astros.

In New York, Pettitte would join a rotation that includes Chien-Ming Wang, Mike Mussina and Randy Johnson.

Pettitte helped the Yankees win four World Series titles, and Yankees general manager Brian Cashman acknowledged that players from that era hold a special appeal for the team's fans.

"There's no doubt there's a love affair for some of these players that will last for a lifetime, and you've seen that obviously when some of these guys return to our park in another uniform -- or guys that have been playing with us still," Cashman said.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
This is some added experience and power back to the rotation the Yankees been missing since 2003...Red Sox/ Matzukaka prepare to be owned.

Last edited:

a7x1337

Metal: Testosterone Music
Jul 18, 2005
Colorado Springs
yeah, i'm glad they got him back. he never should've left in the beginning, though. now if only they'd trade a-rod for soriano and call it even...

on another note, the red sox, according to several reports, might not sign matsuzaka.

Jimothy51

Leadoff hitter
Mar 24, 2005
Groton
It's a better deal than giving Lilly or Meche 4 year deals, but now the two highest paid pitchers in the AL are Randy Johnson and Andy Pettitte, and neither of them figure to put up a sub 4.50 ERA. He will be a good innings eater, and he will be better than Pavano, but I don't see how a pitcher who gave up 238 hits, 27 HR's, and had a 4.20 ERA in the NL Central is anything to be scared of.

Shorty|*|RocK89

Beast of the East
Feb 6, 2005
Long Island
It's a better deal than giving Lilly or Meche 4 year deals, but now the two highest paid pitchers in the AL are Randy Johnson and Andy Pettitte, and neither of them figure to put up a sub 4.50 ERA. He will be a good innings eater, and he will be better than Pavano, but I don't see how a pitcher who gave up 238 hits, 27 HR's, and had a 4.20 ERA in the NL Central is anything to be scared of.
last time he was on the Yankees he was 21-8 in 2003 and 96'...I would be scared.Dont try to tell me he isn't one of the best lefties.And isn't he tied for the best post season record?And expect Clemens to come begging back to the Yankees to follow Andy.

Last edited:

DontBottaMe13

Unregistered User
Feb 1, 2005
Long Island NY
i really dont see clemens coming back...but either way this was a great idea..replace jared wright with andy pettitte? no brainer.

mussina, wang, pettitte, johnson...not too bad

Shorty|*|RocK89

Beast of the East
Feb 6, 2005
Long Island
:blahblah: Yanks still won't win a championship. I know the astros suck, but what's that got to do with the yankees blowing all that money for nothing.
This year the Yankees haven't jumped on loads of deals and have been trading for prospects while the Red Sox spent 50 mil just to talk to a guy they won't even sign and Lugo/drew aren't worth their prices.So go talk about other teams wasting money.the Astros were call by Pettitte's Agent and were told the Yankees Offer and they were able to Match it but they picked not to.

Stupified

Registered Abuser
Jun 7, 2004
Massachusetts
This is some added experience and power back to the rotation the Yankees been missing since 2003...Red Sox/ Matzukaka prepare to be owned.
LOL. Pettitte won't ever be that good again. Well, at least not good enough to be a threat. Yankees only signed him to get to Clemens. :boink:

Last edited: