Average monthly pay in the U.S?

S

split infinity

What is the average monthly pay for a normal worker, like a police officer, office worker, fireman, carpenter, car mechanic, and all other "normal" jobs in the U.S?

I am looking to find out the monthly pay? And not of anyone over, or under payed. Just what the average person makes...

Riley

The Freakin Rican
Premium
Feb 3, 2004
I don't think there is a straight forward answer for that question. It depends on where you live. If you live in a major city on either coast you will probably get paid more than if you live in the midwest. But than again the cost of living is cheaper. So it depends.

Riley

The Freakin Rican
Premium
Feb 3, 2004
Dude Kaboom said:
I couldn't care less about have lots of money...
I agree with you. I am going to school to become a para medic and they don't get paid as much as a lot of professions. But I still would like to make enough money to pay my bills and ya know maybe take an occasional trip and save to buy a house one day.

droogsteve

Back from the dead
Premium
Mar 24, 2003
Bronx, NY
There is no nationwide set amount for any profession. A union journeyman plumber here in NYC makes around $66,000 a year with no overtime. OT easily brings it over $100,000. In a right to work state like Florida, he'd make around $40,000. A CPA working in a small office makes a lot less than one working for a fortune 500 company. A Nassau County NY Police Officer starts at around $50,000 while a New Orleans officer starts at $24,000.

You can't get any accurate estimates unless you name a particular city.

S

split infinity

droogsteve said:
There is no nationwide set amount for any profession. A union journeyman plumber here in NYC makes around $66,000 a year with no overtime. OT easily brings it over $100,000. In a right to work state like Florida, he'd make around $40,000. A CPA working in a small office makes a lot less than one working for a fortune 500 company. A Nassau County NY Police Officer starts at around $50,000 while a New Orleans officer starts at $24,000.

Thanks for the answers. I'll give you specifics. In the city of New York, what does a newly recruited police officer, in a patrol car make?

droogsteve

Back from the dead
Premium
Mar 24, 2003
Bronx, NY
split infinity said:
Thanks for the answers. I'll give you specifics. In the city of New York, what does a newly recruited police officer, in a patrol car make?
Funny you should ask that, my twin brother is an NYPD officer.

Anyway, First year: $44,000

After 5 years: $70,000

S

split infinity

droogsteve said:
Funny you should ask that, my twin brother is an NYPD officer.

Anyway, First year: $44,000

After 5 years: $70,000
Thank you. I'm thinking of moving to the U.S. and become a cop.

FireEater

Premiumium User
Premium
Oct 22, 2003
In The Gym
droogsteve said:

He's right, each State will be different and that is based on the fact of "cost of living."

NYC and Cali seemed to have the highest cost of living, so one's wages will be more.

I'm a firefighter in Texas, so with the cost of living being lower than NYC, I get paid less here than I would there. That does not mean I am underpaid compared to those guys. It just costs me less to live here than there.

After 11 years of being a FF here I make around 45,000 a year. I still need to promote to Engineer and then Captain. A Captain in my department makes around 55,000 to 60,000 a year.

All this depends any degrees one might have or how high of an EMT one is. We have incentive pay, which means one gets more money for types of college degrees, Emergency Medical Technician Certs from Basic, Intermediate and Paramedic. Fire Certs from college classes ranging from basic, intermediate to advanced firefighter.

Though now with gas going up and the impact of it causing food prices to rise, I guess the cost of living is increasong ten fold everywhere. My wife paid about 4 bucks for a gallon of milk yesterday. This is up from 2 dollars last week.

FE

K

Kanism

split infinity said:
great...more cops....:@....unless star will prove to me that she's a hep cool cop :D...although that tazing the panhandler story was fun...hey star...did you keep the 800 bucks?

S
split infinity said:
In South Florida, they make about 70K to start but in North Florida, they start off at about 30K. You have to go to the Police Academy for nine months. Most Sheriff's Departments won't hire you if you smoke and you have to pass a very strenuous physical agility test so, if your not already, get in shape!

S
Kanism said:
great...more cops....:@....unless star will prove to me that she's a hep cool cop :D...although that tazing the panhandler story was fun...hey star...did you keep the 800 bucks?
Nope, I didn't keep it. I'd never do something like that. Bad karma!

You're right though, Kane; a lot of the rookies think they are so powerful and cocky. They make me want to slap them and, in fact, I have slapped a couple. I wish they would get into law enforcement for the right reasons and not just because they think they'll be all powerful. When they act like that, it makes me think they are compensating for the lack of length on their little weenies.

I've been in law enforcement since I was too young to buy my own bullets (18). My father, grandfather, uncles and brother-in-laws are all cops. My parents had three girls so I was the one to carry on the tradition. I consider myself proud and professional NOT powerful. And yes, if anyone asks, I have directed traffic for animals crossing the road. ;)