Backpacking

Aug 25, 2006
So over this spring break, a friend and I are going to go backpacking in the Ozarks for a couple of weeks. I've done quite a bit of camping out before but I've never done an extended journey such as this one. My gear so far includes

Backpack
Clothes
Sleeping bag
Tent
Knife
Compass
Map
Freeze-dried food
Magnesium stick for fire
Hiking boots
Poncho
Watch
Multi-tool
Water filter
Water bottles
Retractable fishing poles
Toilet paper
Biodegradable soup

Do some of you backpackers know of some other essentials that I would need. If you have any other tips and tricks, they would be appreciated also:)

Stoink

Nigga Cakes?
Premium
Jun 17, 2006
When I glanced at this thread it looked like it said "blackpudding", I would never have come in here if I knew it was about backpacking!

I suggest you add to your list a portable DVD player and a copy of Brokeback Mountain!

Last edited:

Malek

Wise Ass
Jul 16, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I'm going in France, in January. I will travel France and a bit of Spain. In total, 1600 kilometer of walking awaits me.

I carry.

A backpack.
A tent.
A wool sheet.
A knife.
Some matches.

JonG

Insert witty comment here
Premium
Jun 10, 2006
UK
I'm going in France, in January. I will travel France and a bit of Spain. In total, 1600 kilometer of walking awaits me.

I carry.

A backpack.
A tent.
A wool sheet.
A knife.
Some matches.
so how long are you hoping the 1600km will take?

Dr. Zombie

(Historian)
Jul 20, 2006
USA
Well I saw you had magneseum stick for fire, but I've always used this
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/754d/
Used by itself it works fine, but adding the Mayadust to it kicks ass.

Make sure the blade your bringing is good and I would highly suggest in some kind of GPS system. Some way to find your way if lost and some way to get help if you get lost or hurt.

Cousin Eddie

My name is Dan Cooper
Feb 7, 2006
a word of warning! Watch out where you are hiking! There are pot growers out in the wilds of the ozarks. You dont want to stumble into someone's grow operation. Never know if they might just kill your ass & bury you out there.

Add a gun & some bear-pepper spray to your list.

snakebite kit too.

Last edited:

El Bandito

Nov 7, 2004
Washington
You need at least the 10 essentials and then some...

1. Map
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
2. Compass
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
3. Flashlight / Headlamp
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
4. Extra Food
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
5. Extra Clothes
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
6. Sunglasses
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
7. First-Aid Kit
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
8. Pocket Knife
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
9. Waterproof Matches
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
10. Firestarter
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

11. Water / Filter / Bottles
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
12. Whistle
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
13. Insect Repellents or Clothing
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
14. Sunburn Preventatives

links to a few helpful sites (always be prepared dude)

http://www.backpacking.net/ten-essl.html

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/216076_essentials17.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_essentials

you should have at least the 10 essentials any time you go hiking or backpacking, even if the trip is relatively short.

DarkTalon

Devoted Christian
Dec 15, 2005
most water filter pumps are fucking terrible (or at least the ones i've used) iodine tablits are much better and they don't taste near as bad as most people claim.

Aug 25, 2006
most water filter pumps are fucking terrible (or at least the ones i've used) iodine tablits are much better and they don't taste near as bad as most people claim.
I've used my water filter before and it works just fine for me. Technically it's called a water purifier because it filters and chemically purifies

Normal soap is toxic and can contaminate the ground water. I'm sort of a tree hugger.

RangerDanger

Regular User
May 7, 2005
www.ebay.com
a word of warning! Watch out where you are hiking! There are pot growers out in the wilds of the ozarks. You dont want to stumble into someone's grow operation. Never know if they might just kill your ass & bury you out there.

Add a gun & some bear-pepper spray to your list.

snakebite kit too.
Awesome advice

Once when i was backpacking in Rabbit Ears Pass with my brother and a friend we saw a redneck lookin guy who was acting really weird when he saw us about 1/4 mile away... we figured he was cooking meth and made a point to stay away from there.

Looks like you got it all but a lighter is nice as a 1st resort.

Also, many people dont want to take a sleeping pad because they want to be tough or whatever, but it is as important or more important than your sleeping bag. It insulates you from the ground. A thermarest pad would be nice Link but the ten dollar blue walmart ones work almost as well.