Battleship Strategies

BattleShip Ron

Oct 21, 2004
If you want an expert opinion:

Placing your ships is not as important as making good shots. Your best strategy in placing ships is usually some L shape or two ships in a T shape.

This strategy helps in your opponent wasting shots to determine which way a ship is placed.

Making your shots count is important.

Start near the center of the grid. Then, without fail, drop your bombs in an X pattern to corner to corner. I like to fire diagonally and skip one square every shot. You can do every square diagonally if you wish.

Continue firing in this pattern, so every shot is one square away from another shot.

As soon as you make a hit your next shots should be horizontal or vertical. After a ship is sunk continue your pattern of diagonal squares. The object is to keep two shots from being side by side. If you just shoot at random you increase your chances of having shots side by side, thus wasting shots.

I have invested much time in this game, hence my user name. This strategy will produce about a 90 - 95% win average.

Last edited:

JonG

Insert witty comment here
Premium
Jun 10, 2006
UK
Hide every ship you have in the corner, don't matter which one... it's what I do and I usually win, unless my opponent catches on.

If you want an expert opinion:

Placing your ships is not as important as making good shots. Your best strategy in placing ships is usually some L shape or two ships in a T shape.

This strategy helps in your opponent wasting shots to determine which way a ship is placed.

Making your shots count is important.

Start near the center of the grid. Then, without fail, drop your bombs in an X pattern from corner to corner. I like to fire diagonally and skip one square every shot. You can do every square diagonally if you wish.

Continue firing in this pattern, so every shot is one square away from another shot.

As soon as you make a hit your next shots should be horizontal or vertical. After a ship is sunk continue your pattern of diagonal squares.

I have invested much time in this game, hence my user name. This strategy will produce about a 90 - 95% win.
I use both of these and usually come out triumphant.