Best free anit-virus software?

  • This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
I

Initiative T

#1
Hey guys. My subscription to norton anti virus ran out, and I dont feel like paying for a new subscription. sooooo do you guys know of a good free anti virus progrm? jsut wondering what you guys use.
 
K

Kommercial

#8
If you're good with a PC, you don't need an anti-virus. I've had my PC firewalled with ZoneAlarm, with no anti-virus for about four years now.

Anti-virus' use too many resources, they're definately not worth it.
 
S

StinkyFinger

#9
Kommercial said:
If you're good with a PC, you don't need an anti-virus. I've had my PC firewalled with ZoneAlarm, with no anti-virus for about four years now.

Anti-virus' use too many resources, they're definately not worth it.

What?! :rolleyes: No, you should have an anti-virus program since ZA wont protect you from a site that's infected. That's a fact. I run ZA Pro and if it wasn't for Panda to save my ass on a few occasions my PC would be shit. Plus, it doesn't consume hardly any resources. Where do you get your info from? :insane:
 
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
1,542
Likes
114
#12
I'd stick with Norton if I were you, it's what I use and I have no complaints. If the money's that big of an issue I guess I can understand switching to something else, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
 
K

Kommercial

#13
StinkyFinger said:
What?! :rolleyes: No, you should have an anti-virus program since ZA wont protect you from a site that's infected. That's a fact. I run ZA Pro and if it wasn't for Panda to save my ass on a few occasions my PC would be shit. Plus, it doesn't consume hardly any resources. Where do you get your info from? :insane:
I get my information from my degree in computers and electronics. I've been using FireFox, along with ZoneAlarm, for the past four years, and haven't once had a problem. I never have a problem with any site, and I don't limit myself, I basically go anywhere.

Everyone has this big idea that an anti-virus saves everything. Here is the truth, if you get a virus, the chances of an anti-virus completely removing a virus is really slim-to-none. If you get a virus, try to backup, then format.
 

jordantheman

The Original
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
2,469
Likes
278
#14
soso0901 said:
I'd stick with Norton if I were you, it's what I use and I have no complaints. If the money's that big of an issue I guess I can understand switching to something else, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
To be honest, Norton and McAfee are the worst.

i take a computer technician class in school, and all of our guest speakers and everything who have spoken about viruses and what not recommend NOT using those.

Yay for Kaspersky!
 

Bidwell

Sweetass Fu Manchu.
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
2,876
Likes
142
#15
I think I read somewhere that if your Norton subscription runs out, you can just uninstall and reinstall it and the free subscription starts over. But I might be completely not remembering it correctly or just imagining it.

I just ate some tiramisu. Numnums.
 
K

Kommercial

#16
Bidwell said:
I think I read somewhere that if your Norton subscription runs out, you can just uninstall and reinstall it and the free subscription starts over. But I might be completely not remembering it correctly or just imagining it.

I just ate some tiramisu. Numnums.
If you clean your registry after uninstalling Norton, you can do that. I install Norton with the same disc, everytime I format, and get a new year subscription everytime. This is with the older ~'03 version only though. The '04 and newer, they've fixed the problem.
 
T

tommy_salami

#17
Bidwell said:
I think I read somewhere that if your Norton subscription runs out, you can just uninstall and reinstall it and the free subscription starts over. But I might be completely not remembering it correctly or just imagining it.

I just ate some tiramisu. Numnums.
Woahh, can I have a piece?

I use PC-Cillin, its pretty good I guess :insane:
 
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
8,818
Likes
326
#18
Kommercial said:
If you're good with a PC, you don't need an anti-virus. I've had my PC firewalled with ZoneAlarm, with no anti-virus for about four years now.

Anti-virus' use too many resources, they're definately not worth it.
I don't use any firewalls or anti-virus software, and Internet Explorer. Never had any problems, its all about being smart about basic maintenance.
 
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
1,542
Likes
114
#19
PsiRedEye22 said:
I don't use any firewalls or anti-virus software, and Internet Explorer. Never had any problems, its all about being smart about basic maintenance.
Or you just don't don't go to college and so you aren't connected to the dorm's network where everyone who doesn't wear protection gets herpes.