Best free anit-virus software?

I

Initiative T

Hey guys. My subscription to norton anti virus ran out, and I dont feel like paying for a new subscription. sooooo do you guys know of a good free anti virus progrm? jsut wondering what you guys use.

K

Kommercial

If you're good with a PC, you don't need an anti-virus. I've had my PC firewalled with ZoneAlarm, with no anti-virus for about four years now.

Anti-virus' use too many resources, they're definately not worth it.

S

StinkyFinger

Kommercial said:
If you're good with a PC, you don't need an anti-virus. I've had my PC firewalled with ZoneAlarm, with no anti-virus for about four years now.

What?! :rolleyes: No, you should have an anti-virus program since ZA wont protect you from a site that's infected. That's a fact. I run ZA Pro and if it wasn't for Panda to save my ass on a few occasions my PC would be shit. Plus, it doesn't consume hardly any resources. Where do you get your info from? :insane:

K

Kommercial

StinkyFinger said:
What?! :rolleyes: No, you should have an anti-virus program since ZA wont protect you from a site that's infected. That's a fact. I run ZA Pro and if it wasn't for Panda to save my ass on a few occasions my PC would be shit. Plus, it doesn't consume hardly any resources. Where do you get your info from? :insane:
I get my information from my degree in computers and electronics. I've been using FireFox, along with ZoneAlarm, for the past four years, and haven't once had a problem. I never have a problem with any site, and I don't limit myself, I basically go anywhere.

Everyone has this big idea that an anti-virus saves everything. Here is the truth, if you get a virus, the chances of an anti-virus completely removing a virus is really slim-to-none. If you get a virus, try to backup, then format.

jordantheman

The Original
Dec 31, 2004
Correge
soso0901 said:
I'd stick with Norton if I were you, it's what I use and I have no complaints. If the money's that big of an issue I guess I can understand switching to something else, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
To be honest, Norton and McAfee are the worst.

i take a computer technician class in school, and all of our guest speakers and everything who have spoken about viruses and what not recommend NOT using those.

Yay for Kaspersky!

K

Kommercial

Bidwell said:
I think I read somewhere that if your Norton subscription runs out, you can just uninstall and reinstall it and the free subscription starts over. But I might be completely not remembering it correctly or just imagining it.

I just ate some tiramisu. Numnums.
If you clean your registry after uninstalling Norton, you can do that. I install Norton with the same disc, everytime I format, and get a new year subscription everytime. This is with the older ~'03 version only though. The '04 and newer, they've fixed the problem.

T

tommy_salami

Bidwell said:
I think I read somewhere that if your Norton subscription runs out, you can just uninstall and reinstall it and the free subscription starts over. But I might be completely not remembering it correctly or just imagining it.

I just ate some tiramisu. Numnums.
Woahh, can I have a piece?

I use PC-Cillin, its pretty good I guess :insane:

Kommercial said:

I don't use any firewalls or anti-virus software, and Internet Explorer. Never had any problems, its all about being smart about basic maintenance.