Electricity

#1
1.) How much do they measure a volt by?

2.) How much volts would it take to kill a 350 pound man?

Thanks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Pig

Don't you go dying on me!
Jul 19, 2005
2,899
66
0
#3
It's current that kills a person, a pathway for current to flow can kill you even if the Voltage or Amp is low.

Most voltage is measured at 120 I believe.
 
S

StinkyFinger

#4
SlOtH said:
Well, it's amps that kill.

Anything over about an amp will kill anyone.

He's not kidding, it's the amps. Well just the other day I saw this metal head smash one over the head of his bass player and kill him. Fucking amp did him in. :p


Pssst, stupid people. Before you post how my amp is not the amp we're talking about, let me be early in my heart warming shut the fuck up message.
 

SlOtH

F**kin the party up-in
Apr 17, 2003
4,015
207
0
Visit site
#5
StinkyFinger said:
He's not kidding, it's the amps. Well just the other day I saw this metal head smash one over the head of his bass player and kill him. Fucking amp did him in. :p


Pssst, stupid people. Before you post how my amp is not the amp we're talking about, let me be early in my heart warming shut the fuck up message.
Oh stinky, you so crazay.
 
Jul 6, 2004
4,325
149
0
IF, ID
#6
yeah its amps that kill. if your dripping wet and somehow step on a unprotected current from say a radio cord. you would most likely die. but if you were dry you would probably only get a little shock.
 
S

StinkyFinger

#7
Now-a-days we have to put warnings, post scripts, and sometimes even sub-titles after our posts for the people that visit this hole of ours. Apparently Generation ADD is unaware of sarcasm and its affects on Joe Moron.

*NOTE* What I just said doesn't need this "NOTE" but it looks cool. Oh, and official, don't friggin forget the goddman official lookingness of it. Is that even a word? i dunno. My brain is tired. Pfft.
 
Jul 6, 2004
4,325
149
0
IF, ID
#8
StinkyFinger said:
Now-a-days we have to put warnings, post scripts, and sometimes even sub-titles after our posts for the people that visit this hole of ours. Apparently Generation ADD is unaware of sarcasm and its affects on Joe Moron.

*NOTE* What I just said doesn't need this "NOTE" but it looks cool. Oh, and official, don't friggin forget the goddman official lookingness of it. Is that even a word? i dunno. My brain is tired. Pfft.
GTFO, noob
 

SlOtH

F**kin the party up-in
Apr 17, 2003
4,015
207
0
Visit site
#9
StinkyFinger said:
Now-a-days we have to put warnings, post scripts, and sometimes even sub-titles after our posts for the people that visit this hole of ours. Apparently Generation ADD is unaware of sarcasm and its affects on Joe Moron.

*NOTE* What I just said doesn't need this "NOTE" but it looks cool. Oh, and official, don't friggin forget the goddman official lookingness of it. Is that even a word? i dunno. My brain is tired. Pfft.
....But I thought official didn't belong on this board?


*NOTE* Only pretaining to past threads made by Stinky Finger.
 

Viking_God

I want my avatar!
Aug 9, 2005
413
0
0
Valhala
#11
This should help:
The volt is the standard unit of electromotive force or potential difference.
Voltage, emf, or pontential difference represents the fact that charge carriers will flow between two points if a conductive path is provided. The number of charge carriers might be small even if the voltage is huge, or very large even if the voltage is tiny.
If a conducting path is provided between two poles having potential difference, charge carriers will flow in an attempt to equalize the charge between the two poles. The flow of electric current will continue as long as a path is provided, and as long as there is a charge difference between the two poles.
Current is the measure of the rate at which charge carriers flow. The standard unit is the ampere (amp). This represents one coulomb (6,240,000,000,000,000,000) of charge carriers per second past a given point.
Watts are volts times amps.
So, to sum up: The volt represents charge difference. Amps represent the flow of charge. You will not have many amps flowing if the voltage present is not enough to overcome the resistance. The product of volts and amps, VxA, is watts.
 
S

StinkyFinger

#12
Viking_God said:
This should help:
The volt is the standard unit of electromotive force or potential difference.
Voltage, emf, or pontential difference represents the fact that charge carriers will flow between two points if a conductive path is provided. The number of charge carriers might be small even if the voltage is huge, or very large even if the voltage is tiny.
If a conducting path is provided between two poles having potential difference, charge carriers will flow in an attempt to equalize the charge between the two poles. The flow of electric current will continue as long as a path is provided, and as long as there is a charge difference between the two poles.
Current is the measure of the rate at which charge carriers flow. The standard unit is the ampere (amp). This represents one coulomb (6,240,000,000,000,000,000) of charge carriers per second past a given point.
Watts are volts times amps.
So, to sum up: The volt represents charge difference. Amps represent the flow of charge. You will not have many amps flowing if the voltage present is not enough to overcome the resistance. The product of volts and amps, VxA, is watts.
Basically what this says is [GWBUSH SENIOR]Amps baaaaaad, volts ok[/]
 
M

Milkymilk

#13
It's both Amps and Volts that kill you. Not only one or the other.

Even more important... is where you get hit by it: the path of the current through your body. It also depends on how long you are in this state of being shocked.

Theres even frequency too but that get more complicated.

Ill explain.

Human skin is fairly resistive, and it completely encases the human body. DUH

Whats inside a human body, underneath the skin, is pretty similiar to salt water, which is a highly conductive substance. The heart and brain, are organs which depend on low amperage electrical impulses to operate. The heart is in the chest the brain is in the skull, both are protected by the human skin on the outside of the body.


Higher voltages allow electricity to leap through a higher variety of substrates including human skin, air etc... It is often called 'arcing'

It could be said that amperage does the punishing, but voltage is needed to break the skin. Enough voltage and it will not only break through your skin to the juicy salty conductive bits inside, but it will arc through the air itself to get through to you.

It takes a certain voltage to arc through the skin. It takes a certain amperage (as low as only 5 milliamps) to mess up the pulses in a human heart.
It takes a path that includes a persons chest to affect the heart. It takes a certain amount of time to lose enough heartbeats.. Theres a lot of factors.



Path is the part most overlooked though. If voltage has no path to ground through you it won't do anything, cept maybe give you an Einstein Fro. If you got only hit through at your fingertips a huge amount of power would only give you a bad blister... But if it went from the fingertips of one hand through the opposite leg to your toes, it doesn't take much to kill you.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DTNODYA

______________
Jul 27, 2005
2,533
1
0
#14
Viking_God said:
This should help:
The volt is the standard unit of electromotive force or potential difference.
Voltage, emf, or pontential difference represents the fact that charge carriers will flow between two points if a conductive path is provided. The number of charge carriers might be small even if the voltage is huge, or very large even if the voltage is tiny.
If a conducting path is provided between two poles having potential difference, charge carriers will flow in an attempt to equalize the charge between the two poles. The flow of electric current will continue as long as a path is provided, and as long as there is a charge difference between the two poles.
Current is the measure of the rate at which charge carriers flow. The standard unit is the ampere (amp). This represents one coulomb (6,240,000,000,000,000,000) of charge carriers per second past a given point.
Watts are volts times amps.
So, to sum up: The volt represents charge difference. Amps represent the flow of charge. You will not have many amps flowing if the voltage present is not enough to overcome the resistance. The product of volts and amps, VxA, is watts.
Damn, good description. Short and very well explained... I had to read that slowly.. I didn't know exactly how it all works.. and yeah.. too lazy to look it up google style. I learned sumpthin' :cool:
 

FireEater

Premiumium User
Premium
Oct 22, 2003
2,382
586
0
In The Gym
#15
Red said:
2.) How much volts would it take to kill a 350 pound man?

Thanks.
Ok, let me actually answer his question as the rest of you missed it.

First off, you wiegh 350LBS and need to maybe lose some wieght.

Second off and most importantly the answer to your subtle question number two. Just drop the toaster in the tub with your big ass while it is plugged in and turned on. It will then kill you.

*NOTE* You might have already found out your answer and these replies would then be waste of bandwidth as well as my cool *NOTE*.

FE
 

Viking_God

I want my avatar!
Aug 9, 2005
413
0
0
Valhala
#16
DTNODYA said:
Damn, good description. Short and very well explained... I had to read that slowly.. I didn't know exactly how it all works.. and yeah.. too lazy to look it up google style. I learned sumpthin' :cool:
I took that out of a textbook. :p
 

Lachrymose

Active Member
Feb 13, 2005
2,530
43
0
40
Baltimore, MD
#17
Milkymilk said:
It's both Amps and Volts that kill you. Not only one or the other.

Even more important... is where you get hit by it: the path of the current through your body. It also depends on how long you are in this state of being shocked.

Theres even frequency too but that get more complicated.

Ill explain.

Human skin is fairly resistive, and it completely encases the human body. DUH

Whats inside a human body, underneath the skin, is pretty similiar to salt water, which is a highly conductive substance. The heart and brain, are organs which depend on low amperage electrical impulses to operate. The heart is in the chest the brain is in the skull, both are protected by the human skin on the outside of the body.


Higher voltages allow electricity to leap through a higher variety of substrates including human skin, air etc... It is often called 'arcing'

It could be said that amperage does the punishing, but voltage is needed to break the skin. Enough voltage and it will not only break through your skin to the juicy salty conductive bits inside, but it will arc through the air itself to get through to you.

It takes a certain voltage to arc through the skin. It takes a certain amperage (as low as only 5 milliamps) to mess up the pulses in a human heart.
It takes a path that includes a persons chest to affect the heart. It takes a certain amount of time to lose enough heartbeats.. Theres a lot of factors.



Path is the part most overlooked though. If voltage has no path to ground through you it won't do anything, cept maybe give you an Einstein Fro. If you got only hit through at your fingertips a huge amount of power would only give you a bad blister... But if it went from the fingertips of one hand through the opposite leg to your toes, it doesn't take much to kill you.

You watched that episode of Mythbusters too, huh?
 
M

Milkymilk

#20
Lachrymose said:
You watched that episode of Mythbusters too, huh?


No.

Ive been an Electrician for about 8 years now, but I also have AS degree's in Digital Electronics and Microwave communications --classes which deal with electricity used in different ways. Ive also been working with electricity on some level or another my whole adult life.


Ironically, a lot of what I said above about skin resistance, heh heh, ive experienced first hand , sadly Ive been bitten a few times. Ive worked with 1.2 volt batteries that contained 16,000AMPs stacked 8 feet high for scores of feet. And we touched the leads to connect them in parallel with our bare hands. 1.2 volts could not breach our skin. Although that last bar I connected to make them all 16 volts did kind of worry me lol.


I've work in plenty of hot panels, (around live parts) as part of what I do depending on the job. You try to shut things down as much as you can, but some work must be done on hot electrical panels as per how the customers wants to keep things running, unfortunalty, regardless of it not being as safe, its part of my job.

Rubber matts (to prevent grounding) and another good idea is to only stick only one hand in whenever possible (this prevents a path from the left to right hand across the heart) Gloves and eye protection (electrical flashes can blind you) That plus im careful as shit. Its kind of like being a surgeon or something playing operation... I would never tell another electrician what I said above, I would be ashamed to say it. Working stuff live is considered taboo.


Ive seen quite a few films about electrical shock to the human body in safety classes, and its the ugliest most gruesome injury you can imagine. People get lanced because the flesh boils underneath the surface.. Serious electrical burns are nasty as hell, peoples eyes explode, all kinds of horrible effects.

But oddly I'm not too frightened of dieing by electrical shock, Im far more concerned about being run over by some crazy backhoe driver while im in a ditch, or having a crane drop a load on me while im looking at blueprints or something, or having a scissor lift come out of no where and knock me off my ladder. hahah construction is fun. :D :D
 
Last edited by a moderator: