Flight attendants plan boycott of new Jodie Foster film.

jn_powell

Los locos kick your ass.
Jan 15, 2005
Carrollton, TX
This country is going to hell in a handbasket. People take everythign way too seriously.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Labor unions representing most of the nation's 90,000 flight attendants have urged their members to boycott a new Jodie Foster film that portrays a flight attendant and a U.S. air marshal as terrorists.

They said that casting cabin crew members as villains in the movie "Flightplan" was irresponsible in light of heightened security concerns since the September 11, 2001 attacks, in which suicide hijackers used airliners as guided missiles.

The Walt Disney Co. film, which was the No. 1 release at the North American box office last weekend, stars Foster as an airline passenger who awakens from an in-flight nap to find her young daughter missing. It turns out that one of the flight attendants aboard is involved in a terrorist plot hatched by the plane's air marshal.

A union statement issued on Tuesday also complained that other flight attendants in the film are shown as being "rude, unhelpful and uncaring."

"This depiction of flight attendants is an outrage," said Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) International President Patricia Friend. "Flight attendants continue to be the first line of defense on an aircraft and put their lives on the line day after day for the safety of passengers."

An AFA spokeswoman in Washington said the unions worry that moviegoers will take away impressions that will make it more difficult for flight attendants to "earn the trust and respect of passengers."

"It's just so irresponsible," the spokeswoman, Corey Caldwell, told Reuters on Wednesday.

She said the portrayal of airline cabin crew members as evil-doers adds further insult to long-standing Hollywood stereotypes that have depicted flight attendants as sexualized bubble heads or as harsh, humorless disciplinarians.

A Disney spokesman said that in making "Flightplan," which grossed nearly $25 million last weekend, "there was absolutely no intention on the part of the studio or filmmakers to create anything but a great action thriller."

"We are confident the public will be able to discern the difference between fiction and the incredible job real-life flight attendants do on a daily basis," the spokesman said.

The AFA called for the boycott along with two sister unions -- the Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) and the Transport Workers Union Local 556, which represent cabin crew members from American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, respectively. The three unions together represent 80,000 of the 90,000 flight attendants who work for U.S. carriers.

Reuters/VNU
Psst. It's just a movie.
Link

Jul 10, 2004
jn_powell said:
Psst. It's just a movie.
A movie whose plot was just exposed to me without my consent, thus ruining my cinema experience. I haven't decided who to sue just yet, but rest assured because of people like this, I will become wealthy off this most heinous of atrocities. ;)

I am inclined to agree, it's amazing how many people take such foolish actions when things don't go their way. My father always told me, "Shit in one hand, wish in the other, tell me which fills up first." I suppose that's what prevents me from pursuing said lawsuit, and just getting on with my life when I don't get my way? Who knows.

Jul 10, 2004
I don't watch Jodie Foster movies, sans a boycott. ;) Was just poking fun at how it seems everyone finds a problem with everything nowadays.

R

reggie jax

This is just like when all those sensitive christians got all pissed at Dogma.. or when all those black folks got pissed at Barbershop for Cedric's comments about Rosa Parks.. by protesting/boycotting a movie/tv show/musical artist you're only doing them a huge favor sales wise.

Chewy

C8 H10 N4 O2
Jun 29, 2004
I'm not going to see it... I hate Jody Foster ever since I watched that stupid movie... where she kept saying "TWeeeZ in Da weend" I have even blocked the name of the moive from my mind..

Aug 18, 2005
First, a boycott isnt a lawsuit. It is a collective decision not to support something.

I can totally understand why they would boycott something that portrays people of their profession in a negative light. whats wrong with that? Why would they want to support a movie that exacerbates the current tension between the airline industries and their customers, a tension they (flight attendants) feel first-hand? Anyway, they cant force people not to see it, so i dont see the big deal.

Personally, it looks boring to me and i wasnt planning on seeing it anyway.

/\/eO

I failed at the Matrix
Feb 19, 2004
Visit site
jn_powell said:
This country is going to hell in a handbasket. People take everythign way too seriously. Psst. It's just a movie.
Psst, so all the billions of $$ that advertisers spend to create an image on a product or the nonstop showcasing by the mass media of tragedies as the front running story which usually has some black pers...sorry, some nigger involved in something evil doesn't ingrain itself into peoples psyche as true? Perception is 99% reality; people have gone to the gas chamber/jail for life for an "appearance". If movies can't change anyones perception then why do so many want to be "movie stars"? They want to be movie stars cause they will fuck the best people and get the best stuff. Movies are the most powerful form of social motivation in this Cult of Personality nation we live in.

Try again.

jn_powell

Los locos kick your ass.
Jan 15, 2005
Carrollton, TX
/\/eO said:
Psst, so all the billions of $$ that advertisers spend to create an image on a product or the nonstop showcasing by the mass media of tragedies as the front running story which usually has some black pers...sorry, some nigger involved in something evil doesn't ingrain itself into peoples psyche as true? Perception is 99% reality; people have gone to the gas chamber/jail for life for an "appearance". If movies can't change anyones perception then why do so many want to be "movie stars"? They want to be movie stars cause they will fuck the best people and get the best stuff. Movies are the most powerful form of social motivation in this Cult of Personality nation we live in.

Try again.
Good God you are a fucking moron. Do you honestly think people are going to go see this movie and all of the sudden believe that flight attendants are evil terrorists. Congratulations, I have been here for 9 months and made over 3000 posts, yet only one person has ever been put on my ignore list, but you make lucky number two.

jn_powell

Los locos kick your ass.
Jan 15, 2005
Carrollton, TX
Nocturnal said:
lol, retards

I'm boycotting that movie just because it looks stupid.
That and I am not a Jodie Foster fan at all. The only movie I liked that she was in was Silence of the Lambs, but it was not because of her performance.