Help me get these Pop ups off my computer

D

Disconnect This

-Adaware
-Spy sweeper

if you're talking about a pop up stopper, www.google.com they have some good ones. dont' search it, just look for their toolbar. i heard it rawks... i have something else though.

j.elohim

Don't think: Look!
Oct 29, 2003
Mozilla Firefox, it looks, smells, and tastes better than IE :p, oh and it blocks all pop-ups (unless you tell it to allow them)

droogsteve

Back from the dead
Premium
Mar 24, 2003
Bronx, NY
That's strange. Did you remember to launch it? If you logged off since you installed it, you have to click on it to start it. If you're getting pop ups even when you're not on a site, you have spyware problems. Download and run Ad Aware. If you have Kazaa, get rid of it and get Kazaa lite. Try those things and see if they work. If not you might have to run a more serious program like "Hijack This!".

droogsteve

Back from the dead
Premium
Mar 24, 2003
Bronx, NY
j.elohim said:
Mozilla Firefox, it looks, smells, and tastes better than IE :p, oh and it blocks all pop-ups (unless you tell it to allow them)
IE isn't the problem. I have it and don't get any pop ups as long as I run freesurfer. And if she's getting them when she's not on a site, it's not the browser so Mozilla wouldn't make a difference.

Oct 2, 2003
ATL
Visit site
droogsteve said:
That's strange. Did you remember to launch it? If you logged off since you installed it, you have to click on it to start it. If you're getting pop ups even when you're not on a site, you have spyware problems. Download and run Ad Aware. If you have Kazaa, get rid of it and get Kazaa lite. Try those things and see if they work. If not you might have to run a more serious program like "Hijack This!".
I dont have Kazaa, I have downloaded ad aware and ran it but I still got them. GGGGRRRRRR

j.elohim

Don't think: Look!
Oct 29, 2003
GeorgiaPeach01 said:
I dont have Kazaa, I have downloaded ad aware and ran it but I still got them. GGGGRRRRRR

Hmm that's weird...are they pop-up's like adverts or weird little grey boxes that say "messenger service" on the top because they are a whole 'nother problem.

droogsteve

Back from the dead
Premium
Mar 24, 2003
Bronx, NY
Hmmm... You could try "Hijack this!" It lists all of the hidden programs on your registry and hard drive so you can delete the ones that you didn't put there. But BE CAREFUL!! Do not remove anything that you need.

Here's the link:http://download.com.com/3000-8022-10227352.html?tag=lst-0-5

Before I tried that, I would send a PM to MGUNIT or try to catch him on AIM and ask him. He's helped me with a bunch of computer problems and he really knows his shit, I'm sure he'd be able to help you. If you need his AIM screen name, PM me.

Stanky105

Anti-Spoon & Anti-Monkey
Mar 23, 2003
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Visit site
GP, it may be some kind of trojan. We had trouble with those on campus, it was some deep thing that would absolutely SPAM you with messages. You would go to class, come back, and have 100 pop ups, no exageration.

The only way to get rid of it was to re-format the hard drive, it was too deep in the main files to clean. :(

D

Dark Chocolate

Check your computer for a file called "Purity Scan". I had that and Adaware didn't catch it. I had to manually remove it.

Oct 2, 2003
ATL
Visit site
droogsteve said:
Hmmm... You could try "Hijack this!" It lists all of the hidden programs on your registry and hard drive so you can delete the ones that you didn't put there. But BE CAREFUL!! Do not remove anything that you need.

Here's the link:http://download.com.com/3000-8022-10227352.html?tag=lst-0-5

Before I tried that, I would send a PM to MGUNIT or try to catch him on AIM and ask him. He's helped me with a bunch of computer problems and he really knows his shit, I'm sure he'd be able to help you. If you need his AIM screen name, PM me.
MG and I are down like that. I'll try to catch him on. Thanks so much steve!

Dark Chocolate said:
Check your computer for a file called "Purity Scan". I had that and Adaware didn't catch it. I had to manually remove it.
I did have that on here but I deleted it....it's still poping things up...so maybe its not that....