Michael Moore Pisses off more people

I

iridevolcom

I thought that we had this crazy idea called freedom of speech in the United States.

Bugfatty

The Night Stalker
Dec 11, 2003
MacHappyville
Visit site
iridevolcom said:
I thought that we had this crazy idea called freedom of speech in the United States.

Sigh :rolleyes: There is. The Disney co. just reserves its given rights to distribute or not distribute ect. Freedom of speech does not mean a company HAS to print/distribute what ever somebody wants. If Micheal Moore wants to spread his bullshit he will have to find another company to do it.

Sketcher

Let the chaos begin
Feb 18, 2004
Connecticut, USA
iridevolcom said:
I bet you didn't say that when every film studio Mel Gibson tried to get "Passion" to be made in turned him down.

Moore is an idiot. He puts a spin on everything he does and says and people actually buy into it.

Sketcher

Let the chaos begin
Feb 18, 2004
Connecticut, USA
I can't believe he actually said Colombine happened because we don't have strict enough gun laws. Half the reason I vote Republican is because of the Democtates moronic stance on gun control. I should move to Vermont. They have the fewest gun laws and restrictions in the nation yet it is the safest state in the nation.

(kinda got off-topic there, sorry about that).

Nocturnal

Americana
Premium
Mar 27, 2003
Jacksonville
Disney just doesn't want to piss off the current administration and therefore Jeb Bush who might come down on their tax status in Florida.

Sketcher said:
I can't believe he actually said Colombine happened because we don't have strict enough gun laws. Half the reason I vote Republican is because of the Democtates moronic stance on gun control. I should move to Vermont. They have the fewest gun laws and restrictions in the nation yet it is the safest state in the nation.

(kinda got off-topic there, sorry about that).
the areas with the strictest gun laws have the highest crime.... correlation? or causality? I live within 50 miles of 2 of the top 10 highest murder rate cities in the country. In MD it is really hard(dont' bother) to get a liscense to carry, in DC basically impossible.

Bergs

Elitist
Mar 28, 2003
Miami or New York
Visit site
Disney just doesn't want to piss off the current administration and therefore Jeb Bush who might come down on their tax status in Florida.
Please. Thats what Moore said, please dont tell me you are as big of an idiot as he is. Perhaps they just dont want to associated with his typical lie filled propaganda?

And all you people saying that this is a violation of free speech need to be slapped. Disney, a private company, can choose what ever they want to distribute. That is unless you would like to limit THEIR free speech.

I bet you didn't say that when every film studio Mel Gibson tried to get "Passion" to be made in turned him down.
Sketcher your debates are so ridiculously tangential and basically meaningless. This really has nothing to do with the argument. What does the passion have to do with this at all. And who are you to tell dictate someone elses argument. You're turning this into a liberal vs. conservative debate, and its really not.

I should move to Vermont. They have the fewest gun laws and restrictions in the nation yet it is the safest state in the nation
And what the hell is this? This is the dumbest argument I've ever heard. You're trying to draw the conclusion that because Vermont has the fewest gun laws it has less gun related violence? Do you really think that the only thing that contributes to gun violence is gun regulation? What is the population(density) in Vermont as compared to New York or Washington DC? What is the crime rate comparitively? That is one of the weakest arguments for gun deregulation i've ever heard.

shade

Mar 23, 2003
Allen, TX
Is disney the government? No. If they dont want to spend money on a controversial idiot, they dont have to, and it is NOT censorship if they make that choice.

Until Mickey Mouse is fucking president, dont call this censorship.

Sep 13, 2003
AZ
I can't believe he actually said Colombine happened because we don't have strict enough gun laws.
I can't believe he actually said that either. No, I really can't believe that, because he never fucking said that. In fact, his film goes on to show that canada has less gun laws yet less violence as well, if anything he is aginst strict gun laws.

Disney is
which btw is supposed to be liberal!
Holy fucking shit, Disney is one of the worlds largest and most wealthy coorperations that does nothing but try to impose "Chrisitan values" into its movies and such by censoring all bad language and making everything all PG and crap. Disney is just about as conservative as you can get.

Sketcher

Let the chaos begin
Feb 18, 2004
Connecticut, USA
BJ and UT5 said:
Sketcher your debates are so ridiculously tangential and basically meaningless. This really has nothing to do with the argument. What does the passion have to do with this at all. And who are you to tell dictate someone elses argument. You're turning this into a liberal vs. conservative debate, and its really not.
I'm not turning it into liberal vs. conservative at all. All I was doing was pointing out a double standard. He said that Disney should have allowed Moore to make his movie because of the right to free speech. But when Gibson tried to get his movie made, EVERY SINGLE studio turned him down. He ended up doing it himself with his own money. Where was everyone yelling about Gibson's free speech then? My argument had everything to do with the subject we are talking about.

And what the hell is this? This is the dumbest argument I've ever heard. You're trying to draw the conclusion that because Vermont has the fewest gun laws it has less gun related violence? Do you really think that the only thing that contributes to gun violence is gun regulation? What is the population(density) in Vermont as compared to New York or Washington DC? What is the crime rate comparitively? That is one of the weakest arguments for gun deregulation i've ever heard.
It is a proven fact that fewer gun laws lead to less gun-related violence. I read last year where they did a study on this. In two different cities with about the same population and same violence rate, in one, they dramatically lowered the gun laws. In the other, they made it almost impossible to obtain a gun. Guess what. In the city with the very strict gun laws, crime went up 80%.

Nocturnal

Americana
Premium
Mar 27, 2003
Jacksonville
Bergs said:
Please. Thats what Moore said, please dont tell me you are as big of an idiot as he is. Perhaps they just dont want to associated with his typical lie filled propaganda?

And all you people saying that this is a violation of free speech need to be slapped. Disney, a private company, can choose what ever they want to distribute. That is unless you would like to limit THEIR free speech.
seems a odd time for the souless conglomerate that is disney to develop a conscious. Since when do movie studios care what press their movies get? As long as they make money, and it's not like it would be distributed by Disney itself. I could understand not wanting to hurt their image, but average Joe does not know that they own (Miramax I think) the company that would be marketing it.

It's not censorship, and they do have the right to do it, I just find it interesting. Whenever something happens that I can't figure out, I make it a point to follow the money trail. Almost always you will find the answer.

Last edited:

Bergs

Elitist
Mar 28, 2003
Miami or New York
Visit site
Moore is hated by many many Americans and besides for the fact that it is made by him it is attacking Bush on his actions on 9/11 which is considered an offensive thing to do by many many people. Disney doesnt want to hurt their image and it doesnt matter that it is Miramax and not them distributing it. Miramax being damaged by this distribution would hurt Disney's pockets if nothing else. Something that, with their current economic situation, they cant afford.

T

tourettes

you know, moore's stance might actually sway the election...to Bush's side! this guy is an idiot who takes facts and exaggerates them until something interesting is produced. also, disney is a family entertainment company, so it is understandable that they don't want a hand in this.

shade

Mar 23, 2003
Allen, TX
Holy fucking shit, Disney is one of the worlds largest and most wealthy coorperations that does nothing but try to impose "Chrisitan values" into its movies
.... I guess that is why they do Gay Day and are one of the single most boycotted companies by christians around the world. :rolleyes:

I mean wow. You really are retraded for saying something like that.

Instigator

Trotskyist
Apr 1, 2003
Visit site
I can't believe he actually said Colombine happened because we don't have strict enough gun laws.
He didn't, assbag. Watch the film.

As long as they make money, and it's not like it would be distributed by Disney itself.
That's the key right there. Disney is afraid that neocons still crying in their milk over Bush's credibility fiasco won't buy tickets.