Pick your MVPs (One Per League)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Devastation

Fac et Spera
Premium
Apr 14, 2004
Indiana
Albert Pujols NL -- Not only did he outperform Andruw Jones, he also led his team to the best record in baseball. Unlike the Chicago White Sox or the Cleveland Indians or whatnot, the Cardinals have been good all season.

Edit: Well, he didn't outperform him batting-wise, but I stand by my choice.

David Ortiz AL -- I hate the Yankees.

Last edited:

beardo

GOOOOOLLLLLDDDUUUSSSTTTTT
Aug 18, 2005
Waikiki Beach, Hawaii
Travis Hafner.... i know those otehr gusy have great numbers and stuff, but hafner is the MVP of the tribe, he has teh most value of our guys, he caried us here...hes my pick and gives it his all every day...the others eh...Dave Ortiz has been so clutch this year, give it 2 him

L

LeFromage

NL Andruw Jones - He's put up better offensive numbers than Pujols where it counts, run support. He also has the most game winning RBIs in the majors. On the other hand he is the best defensive centerfielder in the game. Followed closely by the likes of Edmonds and Hunter.

MVP = Most Valuable Player, w/o Andruw, the Braves end up middle to last in the NL East. w/o Pujols the Cards still win their division handily...

AL - David Ortiz - Even though Alex Rodriguez is obviously the best player in the AL, he is not the definition of "valuable". Big Papi has the personality and ability to actually carry a team. He didn't have to take all of the load thankfully, but he could have done so quite easily. If the Red Sox manage to sneak away with the playoff birth, Papi is the perfect candidate.

Also, I hate the Yankees...

H

HydeBlitz

andruw jones and david ortiz

puljos is surrounded by great players jones carried his team of rookies on his back since hampton was out most of the year and chipper was out for a while too

Mar 8, 2004
Arlington, VA
Visit site
CheeseMonkeys said:
AL= Big Pappi. And i think it's obvious.

NL= Jones. Good fielder, and wow... Can this guy launch that ball.

Mmmmmhmmm... sounds like a bunch of shit to me.

Gold glove 3rd base and basically even and/or better overall numbers than Ortiz yet you still give it to Pappi. Typical sox bias.

L

LeFromage

poopchow, just curious...

What was your point in highlighting good fielder under Andruw?

Mar 8, 2004
Arlington, VA
Visit site
LeFromage said:
poopchow, just curious...

What was your point in highlighting good fielder under Andruw?

I think its pretty obvious but Ill explain.

Cheese obviously thinks fielding is an important part of the game, especially when determining who the MVP is. How he can simply apply that to Andruw and not to Arod i think is hypocritical.

Jimothy51

Leadoff hitter
Mar 24, 2005
Groton
AL- David Ortiz: The fielding argument is gettig old now, and that's the only reason people can come up with for A-Rod. I can make DH'ing seem hard too. It is like pinch hitting 4 times a game. Plus Ortiz is one of the clutchest hitters of our generation. Every night he comes up big. Plus he kills the Yankees.

NL- Andruw Jones: 51 homeruns and counting. He provides veteran leadership to a young team, and every year he's played he's been in the playoffs. Pujols will get plenty of votes though.

Mar 8, 2004
Arlington, VA
Visit site
Jimothy51 said:
AL- David Ortiz: The fielding argument is gettig old now, and that's the only reason people can come up with for A-Rod. I can make DH'ing seem hard too. It is like pinch hitting 4 times a game. Plus Ortiz is one of the clutchest hitters of our generation. Every night he comes up big. Plus he kills the Yankees.

Thats probably the stupidest argument for Papi MVP I have heard thus far. If anything, being a DH would make you a better hitter. All you do is concentrate on hitting, and pitcher's tendancies. No need to spend time practicing fielding, because all you do is it.

Also, your analogy is simply wrong. If what you say is true, then any time you go up to bat you are pinch hitting. You, as a DH, are already set in the lineup, there is no place to "plug" you in like a pinch hitter.

Two very stupid arguments by two sox lovers. What a shame.

wils0646

Exoskeletal Junction
Mar 25, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
Ortiz - Yes, A-rod does play the field, but overall, Big Papi is huge for the Red Sox. He is amazingly clutch, unlike A-rod, and he deserves the award. Big Papi bats .350 with RISP, and A-rod bats .290. Simply, he's more valuable to the team.

Pujols - Better overall numbers and a pretty good 1B. He can't contend with Jones in the field, but he comes back with a great bat and doesn't strike out much at all. 65 times to 110 for AJ.

Jimothy51

Leadoff hitter
Mar 24, 2005
Groton
poopchow said:
Thats probably the stupidest argument for Papi MVP I have heard thus far. If anything, being a DH would make you a better hitter. All you do is concentrate on hitting, and pitcher's tendancies. No need to spend time practicing fielding, because all you do is it.

Also, your analogy is simply wrong. If what you say is true, then any time you go up to bat you are pinch hitting. You, as a DH, are already set in the lineup, there is no place to "plug" you in like a pinch hitter.

Two very stupid arguments by two sox lovers. What a shame.
I didn't say it thinking it was true. I said I can make Dh'ing seem hard. I didn't flat out say Dh'ing is hard. Your reasons are pretty stupid too. A-Rod has never won a gold glove at 3rd base. I know what you mean, but that is exactly what you did to my words.

Chewy

C8 H10 N4 O2
Jun 29, 2004
Pound for Pound A. Jones is the best player in the majors right now.

A Rod has a lot of hype but no different then Ortiz, now if Ortiz played the whole game not just swinging the stick, had some numbers as far as his steals and was a gold glove winner he might be a candidate other than that he is just Miss Congeniality.

Jimothy51

Leadoff hitter
Mar 24, 2005
Groton
Chewy said:
Pound for Pound A. Jones is the best player in the majors right now.

A Rod has a lot of hype but no different then Ortiz, now if Ortiz played the whole game not just swinging the stick, had some numbers as far as his steals and was a gold glove winner he might be a candidate other than that he is just Miss Congeniality.
So am I understanding you correctly? You have to be a gold glove winner to win the MVP? I guess that means A-Rod won't win MVP either.

L

LeFromage

poopchow said:
I think its pretty obvious but Ill explain.
Why thanks for the arrogance, I needed that... :rolleyes:

poopchow said:
Cheese obviously thinks fielding is an important part of the game, especially when determining who the MVP is. How he can simply apply that to Andruw and not to Arod i think is hypocritical.
First of all, don't call him Cheese...That would be my term of endearment...

Second of all, applying the fact that Andruw jones is a perennial gold glover only sweetens the pot, a side argument over his competition, a meloncholy first baseman...

It's most likely not disputed that overall, A-Rod is a much better player than Big Papi, but the mark of an MVP, when not tainted by the likes of Bonds, has been the ability to carry your team singlehandedly when needed the most. A-Rod has been the Yankees saving grace many times this year, yet so has Big Papi. So where you place the importance is on wins. Big Papi has I believe the second most gamewinning or gametying RBI in the major leagues this year...

That alone, makes his value, not his talent greater...

NYG 5

Citizen of the Federation
Premium
May 1, 2005
Fleet Battlestation Ticonderoga
LeFromage said:
NL Andruw Jones - He's put up better offensive numbers than Pujols where it counts, run support. He also has the most game winning RBIs in the majors. On the other hand he is the best defensive centerfielder in the game. Followed closely by the likes of Edmonds and Hunter.

MVP = Most Valuable Player, w/o Andruw, the Braves end up middle to last in the NL East. w/o Pujols the Cards still win their division handily...

AL - David Ortiz - Even though Alex Rodriguez is obviously the best player in the AL, he is not the definition of "valuable". Big Papi has the personality and ability to actually carry a team. He didn't have to take all of the load thankfully, but he could have done so quite easily. If the Red Sox manage to sneak away with the playoff birth, Papi is the perfect candidate.

Also, I hate the Yankees...
yes, hes sure done a fine job so far during the series