Roberts Confirmed as Chief Justice

Ace Hippie

I am the law!
Premium
Sep 23, 2004
Somewhere worse than hell
Suprised I didn't see this:
Click here for full story

John Glover Roberts Jr. won confirmation as the 17th chief justice of the United States Thursday, overwhelmingly approved by the Senate as the jurist to lead the Supreme Court through turbulent social issues for generations to come.

The Senate voted 78-22 to confirm Roberts — a 50-year-old U.S. Appeals judge from the Washington suburb of Chevy Chase, Md. — as the successor to the late William H. Rehnquist, who died earlier this month.

All of the Senate's majority Republicans, and about half of the Democrats, voted for Roberts.
Roberts has the potential of leading the Supreme Court for decades. Not since John Marshall, confirmed in 1801 at 45, has there been a younger chief justice.

Roberts also will hold a record of sorts — nominated to succeed two different Supreme Court justices within seven weeks. Bush originally named him to succeed retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor in July. Rehnquist's death led to the second nomination on Sept. 6, and Roberts now will be confirmed as chief justice while O'Connor remains on the court until the president selects a new replacement.

May 28, 2004
I hope he will make a good chief justice especially since, considering his age, he will probably hold that position for a long time. I believe he will. Abortion rights supporters are not going to like him though.

John Glover Roberts Jr. said:
"Roe v. Wade is the settled law of the land. ... There's nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent."
Deathmate said:
Just goes to show Democrats have lost all power they once had in the USA.
You seem to find a way to take a jab at democrats in every thread you post. Give it break, man. You have to have other opinions besides democrats are bad and George W. Bush is like a 'god'.

Jun 2, 2005
Well this is bad news for democrats.

But their is good news for democrats, tom Delay just got indicted but thats a different story.

Nocturnal

Americana
Premium
Mar 27, 2003
Jacksonville
Ironhorse said:
I hope he will make a good chief justice especially since, considering his age, he will probably hold that position for a long time. I believe he will. Abortion rights supporters are not going to like him though.
I'm not sure what to think of him, he is a very bright guy, but he has kept us a bit in the dark about his politics.

Not sure of the reason for all the "this is bad for the dems" comments. Democrats didn't really fight this guy all that much.

May 28, 2004
Nocturnal said:
Not sure of the reason for all the "this is bad for the dems" comments. Democrats didn't really fight this guy all that much.
Thats kind of what I was thinking. Half of the democrats in the senate even voted "for" his confirmation.

B

BurritoClock

Ironhorse said:
Thats kind of what I was thinking. Half of the democrats in the senate even voted "for" his confirmation.
You think they wanted to?

They just want to be able to block the next one without looking like obstructionist.

D

Deathmate

Its just funny how Ted Kennedy and Diane Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi had a huge press conference saying Roberts was a bad choice, calling him bad for the country, and saying they refuse to vote for him, and then he's confirmed anyways. :hilarious: Why does the media give them any attention whatsoever? They're so far left their own party ignores them (since most democrats went ahead and voted for him anyways)

Nocturnal

Americana
Premium
Mar 27, 2003
Jacksonville
Kazimierz said:
Hopefully he'll make a good judge, who does his best to uphold the constitution, and doesn't get influenced by the people that put him there.

We will see, don't forget though that leftish judges are "activists" and right wing judges "stand for what they believe in"

Kazimierz

Vox Vocis of Causa
Premium
Nov 19, 2004
Honolulu
www.myspace.com
Nocturnal said:
We will see, don't forget though that leftish judges are "activists" and right wing judges "stand for what they believe in"
And both unfortunately interpret the Constitution in a way that supports their ideals and the ideals of their supporters, instead of interpreting it the way they honestly think it should be.

Mar 24, 2004
Visit site
Nocturnal said:
I'm not sure what to think of him, he is a very bright guy, but he has kept us a bit in the dark about his politics.
And that's a good thing. Don't forget that he does not represent the American people. It'd be a dark day when we have a Supreme Court responsible to the American public.

Ace Hippie

I am the law!
Premium
Sep 23, 2004
Somewhere worse than hell
vchampionl70 said:
And that's a good thing. Don't forget that he does not represent the American people. It'd be a dark day when we have a Supreme Court responsible to the American public.
That's not why people want to know his politics. If he has, say, some sort of bias on certain issues that might cloud his work as a jurist, then the American people (more specifically, the Senate) should now. It's a moot point though.

Assuming he lives up to his conservative (judicial, not political) billing, then I'm pretty happy he's on the Court. I'm not entirely supportive of him being Chief Justice (I was hoping for Kennedy ;)), but we could have done worse. As I'm anticipating Bush will do with is second choice, as I'd guess he'll pick an ideologue like a Scalia or Thomas (though Scalia, at least, has a coherent and logical conservative strain that I appreciate and even agree with from time to time).

Jul 20, 2005
Is it just me, or shouldn't someone with some expirence be the CHIEF justice? I mean, you dont just led any old redneck be commander in CHIEF do you?

Oh wait, bad example. :rolleyes: