U.S. economy not most competitive

Chewy

C8 H10 N4 O2
Jun 29, 2004
this was interesting to say the least.... I thought they were welfare states? ;)

In the study, the Geneva-based World Economic Forum set the United States second after Finland in its annual competitiveness league but recorded growing business concern over the Bush administration's handling of the nation's finances.

Apart from Finland, four other Nordic nations -- Sweden at third, Denmark at fourth, Iceland at seventh and Norway at ninth -- were among the top 10 in the table issued with the Forum's Global Competitiveness Report 2005.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/28/news/international/competitiveness.reut/index.htm

Chewy

C8 H10 N4 O2
Jun 29, 2004
Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
Strangely, I believe and agree with this. Some where in the 80's it seems that all of the corporations in the US were taking over by the biggest group of retards in world history. I think because it's the generation that inherited their money instead of earning it. Too much coke as well.

The thing is, within the next generation we are going to see a social revolution of sorts in which either corporations clean house and adjust the standards in which they hire people or large white elephant corporations such as GM, GE, SBC, and yes, Halliburton die out. They of course will be replaced by either new, agile companies or more privately held companies.

Basically, we have the attitude companies had under Reagan once again. They are complacent.

Nocturnal

Americana
Premium
Mar 27, 2003
Jacksonville
Asbestos Crayon said:
Basically, we have the attitude companies had under Reagan once again. They are complacent.

Yes, that is a very good assesment. Many of our top executives have their heads way up their asses. For one thing executive compensation is not linked at all to company performance. Too much of the country club mindset (I'll promote bob cuz I like his golf game ) instead of focusing on performance.

gigatonblast

Usually right
Jul 12, 2004
Southeast WI
So as to be "far and balanced" I went to the source website of this thread...

I learned a long time ago you cant be number one at everything....
But you can try.

Finland 1
United States 2
Sweden 3
Denmark 4
Taiwan 5
Singapore 6
Iceland 7
Switzerland 8
Norway 9
Australia 10
Netherlands 11
Japan 12
United Kingdom 13
Canada 14
Germany 15
New Zealand 16
Korea, Rep. 17
United Arab Emirates 18
Qatar 19
Estonia 20
Austria 21
Portugal 22
Chile 23
Malaysia 24
Luxembourg 25
Ireland 26
Israel 27
Hong Kong
Spain 29
France 30
Belgium 31
Slovenia 32
Kuwait 33
Cyprus 34
Malta 35
Thailand 36
Bahrain 37
Czech Republic 38
Hungary 39
Tunisia 40
Slovak Republic 41
South Africa 42
Lithuania 43
Latvia 44
Jordan 45
Greece 46
Italy 47
Botswana 48
China 49
India 50
Poland 51

I figured I'd leave Poland in the list...
I was thinking of you Kaz. :D

D

Deathmate

All the nordic nations have few people and their economies rely on 2 companies: Ikea, and Volvo.

Aug 19, 2005
gigatonblast said:
So as to be "far and balanced" I went to the source website of this thread...

United Arab Emirates 18
Qatar 19
huh surprising Ive heard that the UAE is becoming extremely advanced perhaps some arab countries arent so fucked up

Maverick

Registered voter
May 27, 2004
It reminded me of the story you told me about when you were waiting to cross back into Canada and the guys drove up with the misspelled racial slur written on the back of their truck.

Chewy

C8 H10 N4 O2
Jun 29, 2004
Maverick said:
It reminded me of the story you told me about when you were waiting to cross back into Canada and the guys drove up with the misspelled racial slur written on the back of their truck.
LOL.... oh ya these guys.. :icon_rofl

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2005
Deployed to Iraq
UAE and Qatar were the first two Arab countries to watch their oil reserves begin to taper off, so they wisely figured out they better not stay dependent on oil for all their income.

Nocturnal, I'm with you on CEO compensation. I have no problem with rewarding a good CEO generously (though as an investor I think that even many good CEOs are insanely overpaid), but it's insane to give golden parachutes to guys who ran the companies into the ground.

A lot of US companies probably will turn over during the next decade or two. We've moved from the industrial age to the information age, and with globalization there are a lot of manufacturing jobs that just aren't practical to keep in the United States. But we keep propping those industries up because we're trying to protect the workers from the pain associated with an evolving economy.

Nocturnal

Americana
Premium
Mar 27, 2003
Jacksonville
Secret Squirrel said:
Nocturnal, I'm with you on CEO compensation. I have no problem with rewarding a good CEO generously (though as an investor I think that even many good CEOs are insanely overpaid), but it's insane to give golden parachutes to guys who ran the companies into the ground.
well wish me luck, I'm finally moving into management consulting, my job will be to help our companies pull their heads out of their asses :cool:

Aug 30, 2005
Deployed to Iraq
Nocturnal said:
well wish me luck, I'm finally moving into management consulting, my job will be to help our companies pull their heads out of their asses :cool:
Good luck. I've rather see more of those profits go into dividends for stockholders, and less to CEOs who deserve compensation, but not ridiculously generous compensation.