VW Touareg pulls 747

Sep 22, 2004
UK
For a civilian vehicle it's a big deal.

They're not comparing it to a man, they're comparing it to other vehicles. Most cars would struggle towing a medium boat on a trailor. My own Polo has a max braked towing weight of something pittyfull.

And when you run out of petrol, and have to push your car along a road (been there way too many times) You'll appreciate that effectively tugging 245 Polos in a row is pretty hard requirement for engine, clutch and transmission.

The plane used for the stunt was a decommissioned Boeing 747-200 that weighs 155 tons. VW had initially calculated the Touareg could successfully pull 200 tons, and had even done a dry run with a 190-ton Boeing 747-400. Unfortunately, the only plane that could be acquired for the PR stunt was this one that is usually used as a giant prop in films
So the Touareg pulled the same as the man too.

OWNED! I hate you Dan.

Papero

Yum
Premium
Sep 24, 2005
PA
How the FUCK does someone move a fucking 747? I keep in shape and I find it not the easiest task in the world to push my uncles Escalade up a slight incline myself.

That boggles my mind, I am a bit obsessed, how? That's fucking huge and heavy and wtf? That man isn't even that big!

Nov 4, 2004
Massachusetts
www.darcsystems.com
once momentum starts going, you just apply the a little tiny bit of force to keep it going, or even pickup speed.

I used to do floor covering. One day the truck's clutch went. Lost first gear. It was a 16 ton (loaded) box truck. We were on a dead flat highway pulled off to the shoulder. I had to get out and push it. When it got up to enough speed (just applying a gradual incline of force) my uncle popped it into second gear and I had to run to jump onto the back before I was left on the highway haha. I think we blew every red light on the way home.

Seems like a lot of weight, but on a flat surface, rolling on wheels, there isn't much preventing it from moving.

Jul 28, 2005
How the FUCK does someone move a fucking 747? I keep in shape and I find it not the easiest task in the world to push my uncles Escalade up a slight incline myself.

That boggles my mind, I am a bit obsessed, how? That's fucking huge and heavy and wtf? That man isn't even that big!
A tiny incline vs. flat terrain still makes a world of difference. You've probably pushed a medium sized car across flat land before...remember how surprisingly easy it was to push 2000 lbs?
As long as its on flat land, you can just about push anything as long as the tires are round.

SyDias

Keihin Tsukaite
Jun 10, 2005
This was already discussed.

It's a stripped out 747 which is actually lighter than the guiness world record entry for the heaviest aircraft pulled by one single man.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...th/heaviest_aircraft_pulled_(individual).aspx

Unfortunately it's just a plain-faced illusion by picking something so huge which is actually quite light.
Um, I don't think a stripped 747 works like a stripped Civic, if that's what you mean weight:weight. That thing still weights over 40 tons and it's being pulled by a V10 SUV! That shit is impressive and while the laws of physics are still at work! Why not try to pull a 757?! ;D

Last edited: