Xbox 360 just can't sell in Japan

dtorre

Jan 8, 2006
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/750/750212p1.html

IGN:

Xbox 360 Continues to Struggle in Japan
Microsoft's console being beaten by Game Boy Micro.
by Hilary Goldstein

December 8, 2006 - Microsoft's Xbox 360 has enjoyed success in North America, Australia and the UK, but Japan remains elusive. Despite offering exclusive games from Japanese developers and multiple 360 pack-in bonuses, the new Xbox console is having difficulty gaining traction in the Land of the Rising Sun.

According to a Famitsu Marketing data survey, 113,000 Xbox 360 units have been sold in Japan this year. Over the past 11 months, Sony has sold 1.4 million PS2s. The new releases of PS3 and Wii have already trumped Xbox 360 yearly sales in just a handful of weeks. Even the Game Boy Micro, a niche collectible, managed to sell 150,000 units this year. To be fair, Xbox 360 outsold GameCube in 2006 as Nintendo's now-defunct console sold under 100,000 units.

Microsoft is hopeful that the newly-released RPG from Mistwalker Studio, Blue Dragon, can spark renewed interest in the 360 in Japan.

rand0m

you remind me of gay
Feb 15, 2005
This isnt a case of 'may the best console win', it's a case of nationality.

Sony and Nintendo are Japanise and the Japanise play for the home team. Xbox 360 is the outsider. Microsoft should realise that in this case its not just about the game genres for the console to sell.

Cee

North Strong and Free
Sep 11, 2005
Canada
The Japanese game market has been strong due to Nintendo, Sega, and Sony. Lets face it Japan has a stronger gaming market share. If Wii or PS3 were to fail in North America, Japan would easily make up for it.

xeoset

Waste Of Oxygeb
Dec 18, 2005
Anvil
yeah but ps2 (japan) outsold xbox (american) in usa
Xbox 360 (America) is outselling the PS3 (Japan) in North America, South America and the rest of the World (PAL). Looking at the past Generations, the 360 is the new PS2 (Out first, huge 3rd Party Support - almost 400 Titles Released/Progressing), the PS3 is more like the Dreamcast (Tons of extras thrown in, BluRay/GyroScope = Dreamcast Discs/MemoryCard Screen)and I have no fucking clue what the Wii would be.

The Blue Dragon Bundles Sold out in 2 minutes and there were 100,000, then MS Shipped 200,000+ Bundles and I'm guessing they're all snapped up. I say wait for next Weeks Japan Sales. It's Hyped the hell out of, it's made by the people who made SquareSoft what it was (SquareEnix isn't as good) and it scored 9/9/9/10 in Famitsu, the most highly followed Japanese Gaming Mag/Site.

The Blue Dragon Sales fixtures aren't even out and IGN are writing them off, at least gain some Evidence before you even make a Statement like that.

rand0m

you remind me of gay
Feb 15, 2005
Of course the Xbox 360 outsells the Playstation 3 and Wii
By Alex Zaharov-Reutt
Monday, 27 November 2006
Online news reports are claiming that the Xbox 360 is outselling the PS3 and the Wii. Well, of course they are! It’s the only next-gen console that is actually on sale, the other two are only available for as long as the next shipment lasts, with no reprieve for the vast majority of users that want one until 2007.

Related stories
Nintendo Wii wins delivery stakes
Nintendo faces lawsuit over Wiimote but appears safe
Wii won’t be selling 1m in the USA by end of 2006?
Of course there are, relatively speaking, plenty of PS3’s and Wii’s out there. Both companies are shipping in as many as they can, with reports of 125,000 to 175,000 PS3’s already out there (and with 10% of those reportedly on eBay), and Nintendo bringing in, at launch, four times as many Wii’s as Sony had PS3s.

But if you want to walk into a store and be guaranteed of buying a next generation games console, the Xbox 360 is the one you’ll find every time, because they got their production issues sorted out months ago, with Microsoft aiming to literally sell millions of Xbox 360s over the Christmas period.

But this is hardly the final outcome. Next year will see millions more PS3’s and Wii’s available worldwide, with the best time to really look at the figures to see how consoles have been selling being the middle of 2007 and after the Christmas shopping season of 2007 is over.
Nevertheless, people want statistics and figures now, and they seem to be forthcoming.

According to Softpedia, since the Xbox 360 came onto the market, Sony has lost 5% of the games console market. But this figure is meaningless, as it doesn’t really take into account that most people who have been waiting for a PS3 haven’t been able to buy one. Other reports indicate that the PS2 still outsells the Xbox 360 as well.

Softpedia also has some other figures that are interesting, but they are more instructive on the past than the future.

About the only thing we can be sure of is that the Xbox 360 will outsell the PS3 and the Wii this holiday season not only by sheer weight of numbers alone, but also thanks to its recent dramatic November upgrades figuring in strongly along with the stunning achievement of already selling over 1 million copies of the latest hit Xbox 360 game, Gears of War.
typical xeoset cant accept any negative aspects to his precious machine.

firepiss

compliance!
May 14, 2005
VA
If I was xbox 360, I'd say "fuck japan". Because microsoft needs to just give up in that market because they are loosing enough money over seas with japan.

Xbox is so american, japan just refuses to give xbox a fair shot. Just like some of us Americans will these Japan titles.

As a nintendo fan, I'll admit, xbox does have some cool characters.

Dec 3, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
Being one who owns a xbox 360, I'm more mad at Microsoft than anything. Instead of focusing the 360 solely for the United States, they continue to put major marketing efforts into the Japanese gaming industry.

Cee

North Strong and Free
Sep 11, 2005
Canada
Have we forgotten about Mario, Sonic, Solid Snake, Final Fantasy...etc etc?

The Japanese games aren't all that crazy.

Deakmm

Wheres my spork?
May 25, 2005
Stoke on Trent!
Being one who owns a xbox 360, I'm more mad at Microsoft than anything. Instead of focusing the 360 solely for the United States, they continue to put major marketing efforts into the Japanese gaming industry.
So you want microsoft to focus 'solely' on the states?
What about Europe?
We buy millions & millions of consoles & are key market not to be ignored